What are Custom Fields?
Custom fields are special form fields that you can include in customer forms. These fields enable you to request extra information from customers before they submit their inquiry. The details they provide will then become attributes, visible in your conversations as data associated with that customer. Custom Fields can be added to embedded Contact Form, Shoutbox, or Lightbox Embeds.
You can also use custom form fields to insert hidden values that are contextual to the current conversation. Values can be application specific or session specific (examples: browser information, IP address, or items in cart).
Creating Custom Fields
You can create new custom fields while using the embed builder to craft a Contact Form, Shoutbox, or Lightbox. If you are not familiar with these embeddables or the embed builder, you can check out this article for more information.
- When using the ember builder, simply click "+Add custom form field."
The type of embeddable you're creating won't limit the custom field options available to you. You'll have the following options to choose from:
- Text Field (Free form text and numbers entry. Great for entering comments, phone numbers, etc).
- Dropdown Field (Pre-filled selections. Great for having customers pick from a few options).
- Checkbox Field (A checkbox that can be defaulted to checked or unchecked. Great for enrolling people in newsletters for example).
- Hidden Field (Custom parameters where you can tell the Embed to track where the user was when he/she contacted you).
- Phone Number (Creates a phone number field and allows you to add as a contact).
- Date Field
- Order Number
You can add as many custom fields as you see fit but we recommend a maximum of three.